Wednesday, October 9, 2013

One Time...At Band Camp...





One time, many moons ago, I met this girl.  She hated me.  I was "going out with" the boy she liked (mind you, 1989, I'm 13, this boy, I saw him once).  That was the summer before our freshman year...the year that two schools merged and 180-some 13 and 14 year olds sorted it all out and became friends and enemies.

And that girl...she and I became best friends.

That was 24 years ago.  GULP.

Over the past 24 years, we've been through A LOT together.  And we've been through a lot apart.

We've lived close.  We've lived a million miles away.  We've been married and divorced and partied and been hermits.  We've loved, laughed, cried, been angry, done stupid shyte.  There are a million zillion memories floating in my head right now.

She ran away to Greece a few years back...lived there for five years.  She married an amazing Greek guy, came home to Oregon and made two beautiful babies.  Have I mentioned how much I love being Auntie Ang?  That warms my heart every single day!

She's the reason I went to Spain last year.  It all started with a trip to Greece, including a side trip to Spain...because, you know, they're close to each other and stuff (they are the opposite of close, p.s.).  When their plans fell through, she encouraged me to still go to Spain.  And so I did.  And for the rest of my life, I will be thankful for that encouragement.

Tomorrow she starts her next life adventure.  Tomorrow her life moves her to Ireland.  And I'm trying really hard to not be sad.

But I'm sad.

But I'm excited.  I'm so very excited for their next adventure.  What an incredible opportunity!  And she and the hubs are so looking forward to it all.

Unfortunately, I never made it to Greece the first time she was there. Yes, I understand how dumb that is.

Luckily, I already have plans to be in Dublin next fall.  Oktoberfest in Ireland?  Yes please!

Kris, I'm so very excited for you guys.  I will miss you deeply and so very much and stuff, but facetime, skype, all of the other crap...it's going to be all good!  I love you, be safe, have fun.  Enjoy every second of it!!

Love you!
ME 
 
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

lospring said...

Another adventure ready to happen. Thanks for sharing!
love ya,

New Life in Spain said...

This is going to be so awesome for them! And for you when you go visit :) You are a great friend, for supporting them, although you are sad they are leaving.
I didn't only have friends who supported me when I decided to move abroad. It means soooo much when friends are supportive and nice about it.

P.S. Looove your hairstyle in picture number 6, I had the identical one, I suppose at about the same time ;)