Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Discipline

here and here

I have bad little habit.

I'm a bit compulsive when it comes to spending money.  I go through spurts...for a couple of weeks, I'll hold on tight to my cash.  And then, out of no where, I'll spend it like I've got it...which usually included some sort of credit card usage.

This came back to bite me about two months ago.

I was looking at the bills for the next month and realized that I had no clue how I was going to pay my credit card bills.  One is a joint card with the ex; the other is one that I have managed to run up myself (shoot me now).  Anyway, in the midst of a panic attack and complete mental breakdown, I made the DECISION to change.

I created a budget.

Friends, I've NEVER had a budget.  The ex and I always talked about it, but as long as all of the bills were paid, then the rest of the money in the account was free game.  And it goes quickly when you eat out a lot.

The new boy (yeah, the one from the last post...), he helped me create a budget.  He's a frugal type and knows how to pay stuff off.  He was in a skiing accident back in 2000.  After being air lifted off the mountain, and meeting with a plastic surgeon to repair his jaw, he was left with $35k in medical bills.  Unfortunately, he didn't have insurance at the time of the accident.  Bottom line, on the salary of a corrections officer (which is crap, by the way), he paid off $35k in TWO YEARS!  Seriously friends...this is a guy I want to learn from!

So I am.

He helped me create a budget.

He made suggestions as to how I could save more money.

I broke down and got a new roommate.  Luckily, the new roomie is a friend...I'm helping him out, he's helping me out...which is good, because we all know how much I love having a roommate (yes, that was sarcasm).

Anyway, I'm happy to announce that I have survived this first month of "financial lock down."  And I'm really excited to send the "extra money" that I was able to save to the credit card to get that darn thing paid off!

My rambling point is, friends, you MUST have Discipline in your life.  You must make DECISIONS that are followed by action.  And those actions must take place day in and day out.  If you want changes in your life, then you must be Disciplined, and you must act.  This life isn't a free-for-all. It takes work to design the life you want to live.  My Discipline is leading me to debt freedom so that my next life adventure can begin free and clear!

What SMALL DECISION can you make today that will lead you to a more Disciplined life?

Have an awesome day!
Ang

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments: