Tuesday, April 2, 2013

This is a Public Service Announcement

Tuesday is shoulders and chest day for me.  I arrive at the gym around 4:50 a.m., do my little routine, and get out.  This morning, my routine was a bit different.

I was on the deltoid machine, working my delts (duh) when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a younger woman get off an eliptical machine, start to walk in between a couple other machines, and then BOOM!  She was down.  I jumped up to help her, and called for the few other women that were close by.  As I was walking toward the girl, I noticed that she appeared to be shaking...racking my brain through years of "do this, not that" info...seizures = don't touch (not sure if that's still accurate?).  So I knelt down next to her as she came to.  She was scared, so frightened.  She looked at me and said she didn't know what happened.  She wanted to stand up, she wanted to drive home.  We told her to stay put and call her mom, take a sip of water.  After several minutes, another woman and I walked the girl over to a chair to wait for her mom to come pick her up.

Whitney is 18-19 years old.  She just rejoined the gym about a month ago, and this was her first morning workout . Usually she comes later in the day.  She doesn't have a history of seizures, and was still very confused about what had happened.

And then she said it..."well, I did take an energy pill this morning..."  Bingo.

Friend, I implore, I beg, I DEMAND that, if you choose to take an over the counter diet or energy pill, PLEASE take that bottle to your doctor before putting the pills into your body.  There are so many options, so many chemically-produced options, and unfortunately, there isn't much regulation on these types of pills.  Consider this...if you're not willing to take it to your doc for approval, then should it really be going into your body?

Bottom line, be diligent friends.  This is your only body, your only life.  Take care of it!

Have an awesome day!
Ang

3 comments:

Nikki said...

People are crazy! Good thing you were there to help!

My-cliffnotes said...

That's crazy, I'm glad you were there to help her!

A Muse in Purple said...

Diligence starts tomorrow, let's do this!!