Wednesday, December 12, 2012

WTF?!

I apologize for the implication of the F, but I really have no other words...

via


At approximately 3:30 p.m. yesterday, a gunman carrying a semi-automatic rifle walked into Clackamas Town Center Mall in Portland, OR, shot and killed two people, injured a third, and then killed himself.

My bff, who lives in Portland, and a friend who lives in Tri Cities simultaneously sent me messages asking if I had heard.

This mall is no more than five miles from where my parents live.

Call mom.

Text sister.

Text husband of ex.

Everyone is safe.

Next...pay attention to the memories flowing through my brain.  This is the mall I grew up in.  In fact, it wasn't even built when I was born.  I shopped here.  I ice skated.  I hung out with friends.  I may have made out with a boy or two there (sorry mom).

And some crazy mo-fo decided that yesterday was the day that he'd ruin this place.

Anger.  Disgust.  Pain and sadness for families I don't know.

As you may recall, I own a handgun.  Owned properly, used properly, stored properly, I have no problem with guns.  But how the HELL do these freaking psychos get their hands on weapons?  With all of the talk in DC about gun control, how does this even happen?

Do people in DC realize that you can GO ONLINE and buy a gun, just like that?

How many states require background checks at gun shows before an individual can walk away with the purchase?

My heart is sad and angry. 

From The Huffington Post... "Shaun Wik, 20, from Fairview, said he was Christmas shopping with his girlfriend and opened a fortune cookie at the food court. Inside was written: "Live for today. Remember yesterday. Think of tomorrow."

Please do this...live for today, live for NOW!  Pay attention to your surroundings.  ASK QUESTIONS!  If you see someone struggling in his or her daily life, ASK QUESTIONS.

Be safe, my beautiful friends.  I love you!
Ang

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Ugh. This whole thing just makes me so sad! It's the mall I grew up in too and even though I haven't been there in quite a while, it hit way too close to home.

Nikki said...

I saw this and thought of you! I saw you were active on Facebook so I didnt want to text you and bother you because I figured you were making sure family was ok! This is so sad! People are outta control anymore!

New Life in Spain said...

I am so sorry to hear this, such a tragedy. Very sad.

A Muse in Purple said...

All these shootings have me just...scared, worried. Now today in Connecticut, at a school of all places? What is wrong with the world today? And I own a handgun too, I keep it in my nightstand, I carried it with me in the truck when I traveled 2,400 miles across the country ALONE but never do I think these weapons should be used to harm others. Just for protection. Sending love and light to all those harmed this week. Too much hurt and violence going on the world.