Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I'm About to Drop the "H" Word...Repeatedly...


I HATEHATEHATE going to the eye doctor.  Like strong dislike time a million bazillion.  I would rather go to the dentist every single day for the rest of my life than go to the eye doctor.

That kind of hate.

And it's not because my doctor is mean or bad or anything...he's a super nice guy.  We have almost the same birthday except he's a year younger...and likes to rub that in every time I go.  Maybe he is a meany.  Anyhoo....

The reason for the strong dislike is due to my "special eyes" (insert 1-800-Contacts commercial here).  I have astigmatism.  Not that uncommon, and honestly, not that big of a deal.  The big deal is that I also have cataracts, smack dab in the middle of the back lens...in BOTH EYEBALLS.  Yeah...special eyes for sure. 

My eyes are pretty fascinating really, and if I could actually look inside them, well, I think it would be pretty cool (today, Dr. Brian told me that my specific cataracts are called "ground glass cataracts," can't remember the official name).  Basically, it's a big black mark that looks like ground up glass when looked at through the microscope. 

The yucky, and painful, part is the bright stinking lights that he shines in there to see that messed up back lens.  I believe this is part of the normal test, but because of the cataracts, I get the light treatment for longer than normal.  And because of the cataracts, it HURTS SO VERY MUCH due to the reflections from the cataracts, and the astigmatism too.  When I leave the doctor's office, I usually have a raging headache, not only from the bright lights, but also from crying...because I typically go into full anxiety panic attack mode in the eye doc's office.  Totally craziness.

What really gets to me is the discussion (every time) about eyeball surgery.  I mean really...my eyes are screwed up, I get that, but I've adapted.  I've known about my cataracts since I was 19/20ish.  Who knows how long they were there before that.  I can (kind of) see, so why would I take the chance of pulling out the crappy lens and replacing it with one that may or MAY NOT fix my problem, and could potentially make me go blind?!  I'm not blind now, so don't "fix" me. 

BUT, my dear friends, I am so very happy to report that not once single tear was shed today!

And the headache is a mild one (maybe I should get on the Advil...).

I SURVIVED THE EYE DOCTOR!!! What a glorious day!

And that's really all I've got.  Tomorrow is "Goody Day" at work.  I'm bringing caramel corn...YUM!!!!

Have awesome days friends!
Ang

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I'm so glad you lived though the apt! I gotta go to the dentist tomorrow and I dread it as much as you dread the eye dr!

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

Don't you wish we could be like mr. Potato head and can change our eyeballs out when we feel like it! I think so! Love you bunches!

New Life in Spain said...

Oh beautiful girl! It sounds really "chungo", horrible. And I get you on the surgery. I have been using glasses since I was like 4 and many times I have dreamt about waking up and actually seeing, or you know, seeing well all the time without any help that is. But at the same time, eye surgery (that for me is not necessary I don't have a real "problem") is scary as h! I hope you celebrated the victory of this appointment though, awesome! (And P.S. Sporadic commenting today haha, I am taking breaks from work with your blog today :) I had three unread posts!)