Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Social Styles and the Like

Randomness...because it's my new camera and I can't help it.
So a while ago I complained about my then-boss scheduling a team building/communications workshop that no one was looking forward to (weird that we need help with communication, right?!), and then it was cancelled.  YAHOO!

And then it was rescheduled.

Boo.

Again, no one was looking forward to this meeting.  All week, team members have been complaining, moping, whining, and in general being negative about the whole thing...me included.  We were all certain that no one would talk, no one would be positive, no one would provide constructive information.

But we were wrong.  All of us.

Have you ever read about Social Styles?

via.  Sorry for the blur
This quad chart is one way of deciphering how people react to others and their surrounding.  My company is HUGE on Social Styles.  Typically, learning about these communication styles is a two day workshop.  We crammed it into 4 hours.  None the less, it was useful information.

In the full workshop, your Style is determined by five OTHER people choosing words out of lists that best describe you.  Today, we did a self assessment of the same sort.

I had five different people ask me why I wasn't in the Expressive group.  I was in the Ambiable group, with a close second in Analytical.  Surprised, aren't you?  I am a little, but this is how I perceive myself...getting along with others 99%, but I do tend to shut down a bit when I get overwhelmed.  I'm very curious to know how others perceive me, since people thought I belonged in the Expressive group.  But either way, Amiable for sure...that's my strong one.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share because this is what's on my mind tonight.  I am hopeful that tomorrow, we will be able to start with a clean slate and let go of the baggage that has weighed us down for so long.  A strong, nice-to-each-other (you don't need to be friends, but you do need to be friendly!) working group is much easier to accept day in and day out.  And let's face it, we spend the majority of our lives with the people we work with.  Isn't it nice to all just get along?

Have an awesome day!
Ang

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Okay, I have never heard of this and I am fascinated!! I don't know what I am though. I'm a mix of amiable and expressive! See, I never interrupt, so that throws me a bit and I only enjoy being the center of attention occasionally and with people I know. So, maybe more amiable? I don't walk slowly and purposely though. The other day I ran into a wall because I was walking to fast, erratically. Just sayin'. And no, there was no substance involved :).

Interesting friend. Very interesting!

My-cliffnotes said...

I have never heard of it!

New Life in Spain said...

This is very interesting! I would say I am amiable and close to analytical as well!
I actually used to really enjoy teambuilding events back in Norway, great things can come from that!