Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Barcelona, Parte Dos: Sagrada de Familia

I wanted to give Sagrada de Familia its own post...because that's how absolutely incredible this place is. 

I'm not Catholic, but I can appreciate a place of worship...any place of worship.  And this cathedral...wow.  There are no words (yet I seem to find a lot...).

Construction began in 1866, and in 1883, Antio Gaudi took over the project.  He is a famous Spanish architect whose work is found throughout Barcelona. 

As I stated, construction began in 1866...and continues today.  Not even kidding.  You'll see from the photos, but the intricacy of this structure is mind blowing.  And the funds to complete such a project...well, they're still coming.  Projected completion: sometime between 2020-2030.  Just a couple more years.

I literally could have spent a full day in this space.  I was in awe of the stained glass work, and the carvings in stone that adorned the facade of the cathedral.  And the fact that IT'S NOT DONE!  Seriously unbelievable. 

Without further ado...Segrada de Familia!












OK, that's enough of the vacation slide show for tonight.  Thanks for stopping by, friends! Tomorrow...Valencia!! 

Have an awesome day!
Ang

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Woah. That is incredible! SO MUCH DETAIL! I love the outside ... gorgeous.

lesley kim said...

Gorgeous photos!! have fun!

do you want to follow each other?
lesleykim.blogspot.com

My-cliffnotes said...

Ahhh so pretty