Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Just a Smile

Via pinterest and some other blocked/spam site.  Yikes.

So, little known fact about me...I used to be super shy.  In high school, I wasn't a nerd, but I wasn't as outgoing as I am now.  And if you really watch me...yeah, I might talk to strangers sometimes, but I still stick close to people I know. 

For example, I went to an event last Wednesday called Young Professionals Tri Cities..a bunch of young-ish business type gathering at a local winery to learn about each other's businesses and maybe make some new business connections.  I should have been up meeting people, but I stuck close to home, close to the people I already know.  Getting out of the comfort zone...that's a struggle for me, for sure. 

A friend and I were chatting today, and she commented that she "wants to be more like me," as far as talking to strangers, being comfortable in telling a random person that she likes her outfit, etc.  As far as telling someone that I like what she's wearing, I make a point of doing this because I know how awesome I feel when some random person says something like that to me, and I want others to feel that way.  It's a new thing that I've started doing...the littlest things like that can change a person's day, ya know?  One pinterest quote I read...smile at everyone you pass because you never know, that smile may make that person's day.  Something like that.  But that's what I try and do...at least smile at everyone because maybe that tiny little gesture will help a person in a way that I can't even imagine!!  :)

So yeah, if you want to work on coming out of  your shell, start small...just a smile.  It doesn't need to be big and toothy, but it does need to be sincere.  When you get to the gym, tell people good evening/good morning.  When you leave somewhere, tell the last person you see to have a great day!  Baby steps that will help you be more comfortable with your words and will make other people smile!

Have an awesome day!
Ang

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Friend I am the exact same way! You probably already have totally noticed this, but I used to be SUPER shy in high school and now it only comes out around people I don't know :) My shyness completely emerges in larges groups I don't know. One on one or two I'm good, but large groups just get me. I like you idea of starting small :)

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

So funny I am in marketing and I just can't go up to people and say "hey, sup" I am extroverted as hell but I don't like to approach strangers. I know exactly what you mean.