Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Death and Dying

WARNING: This one isn't light hearted.

via


I've been in Tri Cities for about two and a half years now.  Something that I noticed this spring, and was again brought to my attention yesterday...my life has been touched by quite a bit of illness and death since I moved here.  Not touched directly (thank you God), but indirectly.  Maybe it's because I'm getting older.  Maybe it's because this sort of thing is clearly a natural progression in life. But the tragedy of these specific illnesses and deaths is sometimes overwhelming.

My friend's momma passed away from cancer earlier this spring.  She was one of three people in my life that has been abused by cancer in the last eight months.

Two coworkers have suddenly and unexpectedly lost their parents...young parents, young coworkers.

My roommate's girlfriend's daughter died yesterday in a completely random, tragic accident.  She was run over by her own car.  She was 22 years old, studying to be a radiologist, had her whole life ahead of her.

And this causes me to stop, think, love, appreciate.

Life is short, and this is the only one you get.  It's imperative that we make every single day count.  When you feel the irritation/anger/dislike/less than happiness come on, ask yourself, what if this is it?  Is this the way I want it to end?

Think about it.

Ang

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about each of these losses. This is so incredibly heartbreaking. I will definitely hug my husband and son tighter tonight.

Jenn said...

Oh no. That is just so incredibly sad and tragic. It definitely makes you think!

Halley said...

So true. The poster at the beginning sums it up.

I'm glad you wrote about it. We need to remember this beautiful lie is temporary.