Thursday, May 3, 2012

Purpose

"Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction." 
- John F. Kennedy


I've been thinking a lot lately about what my Purpose is.  What was I put on this planet to do/to provide/to make happen?

Let's take a step back.  My boss always talks about the Social Styles quadrant chart thing that explains four different types of people: Driver, Amiable, Expressive and Analytical.  I can tell you with all certainty that I am not a driver.  And quite frequently, this pisses me off.  I want to be driven to do things, to do BIG things and make big changes and most importantly, make things happen quickly (because in my mind, that's what drivers do).

So, with that being acknowledged, that I am not a driver, but want to make things happen, where does that leave me?

It leaves me realizing that my Purpose is to shed light on the dark spots in other's lives.  I don't know where that fits into the quadrants, but I have realized that being The Sunshine Giver is a real thing, a real Purpose.  And it's not "real" in a way that it's my job and I have to be that person 100% of the time, but it's real in a way that I attract people who want to be positive, who want to enjoy life, but who may need an extra dose of sun to make it all happen.

Cue me. :)

"The main purpose of life is to live rightly, think rightly, act rightly.  The soul must languish when we give all our thought to the body." - Mahatma Gandhi

Today I was introduced to a new friend (I love these days!!).  She's having a hard time, going through some stuff, most of which I have no clue about yet.  But another friend introduced us, because the mutual friend thought that my positive words/thoughts/attitude could help her.  And I am eternally grateful!  It's days like these, knowing with 100% certainty, that I have been given an opportunity to help someone, that make me get out of bed the next morning so that I can do it all over again.

Bottom line, I'm not a Driver.  I'm not going to wake up tomorrow with a brilliant idea that will solve the drinking water issues in Africa, or cure hunger throughout the world.  But tomorrow, I will wake up and know that I will have another opportunity to fulfill my Purpose on this planet: to bring the sunshine to another lovely person.

Friends, what is your Purpose?  What makes you get out of bed in the morning? And are you fulfilling that Purpose?

Have an awesome day!
Ang

P.S.  I apologize for the lack of photos the last couple of days.  I've been slacking!  I promise to do better next week!  :)

1 comment:

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

Sounds like to me you found a purpose. That your heart actually drives you. It's the fear that keeps you away. I am pretty certain you are 100 percent amazing and we are going to be friends for a long bloggy while! Admire you my friend!