Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Habits: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Today was Day One of Workday Sans Coffee.  And this girl is not a fan.  I arrived at work on time, so I guess that's a plus, but 15 minutes in, I couldn't stop yawning. And then coworkers started streaming in asking about the weekend.  Usually when this happens, I pick up my beloved iced grande iced coffee, add shot, 1 pump sugar free vanilla, light ice, nonfat iced coffee (yeah, I know, ridiculous, but so perfect!) and chat it up.  So as my lovely friends were talking to me, I was obsessing...i want coffee i want coffee i want coffee.  DANG IT!

The good ol' days...

I started really thinking about this, why I was obsessing.  I've really been paying attention to my "obsessions" lately...trying to figure out where they are coming from.  I decided that my morning coffee is pure habit, that's why I wanted it so very badly.  I didn't have coffee at all over the weekend, and I was just fine.  But at work, in the morning, I drink an iced coffee.  It's what I do.  And this morning I didn't.  And it was rough.

I don't consider drinking coffee to be a bad habit, but it is a costly habit (therefore, sort of bad).  And I'm certain that when I arrive home from work on Wednesday and my lawn if perfectly manicured, I will appreciate sans coffee work days.

On to good habits.  When people find out that I work out twice a day, they say to my face "dedication," but I'm sure most people think "obsessed."  I promise, I'm not obsessed.  I'm only there for 45 minutes or so at a time, and I don't have that amount of time to dedicate to only afternoon or morning alone, and I really like working out in the morning...I feel it starts my day off on the right foot.

"Keep my word positive. Words become my behaviors. Keep my behaviors positive. Behaviors become my habits. Keep my habits positive. Habits become my values. Keep my values positive. Values become my destiny."
~Mahatma Gandhi~
 
So, I hear you pondering...how can I make exercise a habit?  Friends, here's the truth...30 minutes five days a week. I bet you can find that amount of time.  And REMEMBER...Saturday and Sunday are days too!  This doesn't need to be Monday through Friday.  And it doesn't need to be time spent at the gym.  30 minutes walking the dog.  30 minutes doing a workout video.  30 minutes riding bikes with the kids.  Done and done.  It's that easy.  And before you know it, you'll develop a habit!

Oh, and for ugly habits...I'm going with picking your nose in public.  So gross.  Don't do it.

What habits will you dedicate yourself to?  And which ones will you get rid of?  Do it...NOW!!

Have an awesome day!
Ang 

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I need to make working out a habit. I just never get into it. I've gotten into the "habit" of going to spinning classes every Wednesday and Friday at noon but there is no consistency on any of the other days. It all depends on how busy/tired/bloated/bored I am. I need to work on that!

Jes said...

I have a habit of snacking. The coffee habit I don't really have issues with. I think the last time I had coffee was probably a month ago? And picking of the nose is definitely the worst.

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

Well shit. I thought picking your nose was a form of exercise. I guess I need back up and re evaluate my workout