Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love Day

Ahhhhh....Valentine's Day....day of love and chocolate and everything warm and fuzzy....

To be honest, V-Day isn't one of my faves.  Well, at least not for the past 15 years or so.  I suppose when I was little, it was good...giving and receiving valentines at school, getting a little treat from mom and dad...that was always fun.  But as an adult, not so enjoyable.  I think it has a lot to do with expectations, and those expectations not being met.  See, I'm a girl.  And girls have expectations (thank you Disney and Hallmark).  And when the expectations aren't met, hopes and dreams are crushed and days are ruined.  Really dumb, but totally true.

So I learned to stop expecting.  I expect nothing, therefore, I'm not disappointed.  And I go on in my happy little life expecting nothing and receiving very little and it's all good.

UNTIL....until the day I realized that I have incredible people in my life.  Not that I didn't know that already, I promise.  But you know that day when you wake up and look around and think, hey, maybe I can't count on this one person to do something a little extra, but I have so many other people who send me love every single day, no expectations, nothing wanted in return, just unconditional love and kindness.  THAT is a reason to celebrate!

So I made a promise not to *hate* Valentine's Day anymore.  And in fact, today is an awesome day!  And I'm thankful that I am able to enjoy this day with the people who choose to be in my life!  Thank you and I love you so very much!

Today and every day, celebrate the ones you love, and always remember....the gesture doesn't need to be grand, even the smallest thought can put a smile on someone's face!

Have amazing days friends! 
Ang


4 comments:

Jennifer McCormick said...

This is a super way to look at valentine's day! I let expectations go when I met Chris (um, that sounds bad), but he hates v-day and I knew the I'd just continue to be disappointed if I expected him to do anything. Now, I have no expectations and choose to focus on all the other amazing ways and times he loves me. Much happier :)

Lindsay R said...

glad you don't hate it anymore :) look at your beautiful flowers!

bigT said...

Happy "I LOVE YOU, FRIEND" Day!!!! Beautiful flowers, you deserve them!!!

Love, ME :)

Mylifewithlemons.blogspot.com

Lucie Srbov√° said...

Lovely post! You are right..sometimes the expectations make us feel bad because it is never the way we want it to be. But there are more important things that celebration of v-day. If the person loves you it is enough:)

Following you on GFC and Bloglovin:)

Kisses, Lucy:)